Got the pair for 150 bucks. They are Nov. '82 vintage.
![]()
Got the pair for 150 bucks. They are Nov. '82 vintage.
![]()
Now I can conduct the experiment I've always wanted to do. Pull the -8B's out of my 19 cabinets.....put these in and compare. I have a feeling they'll sound the same....but it's worth trying. Besides, it'll be a good way to tell if the 416-8B's need re-charged....I assume that'd be the case IF the 8c's end up sounding better!
Russ
Nice buy!
Install em upside down, looks like they've been mounted with the tinsel leads at the 6 o'clock position for some time. Beyond that, they could pass for brand new except i'll bet the "smell" is gone.
FWIW, i find that new altec woofers, as well as Bill's re-cones have a smell very similar to NCR paper. Since Emilar woofers also carried the same odor, i'm thinking it's the material the inch wide gaskets are made from as that's about the only thing common between the Altecs and Emilars.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
Well, not quite new.....somebody managed to chip the magnet edge on one of them. I'm not really concerned about the chip so much but as to HOW it got chipped. Was this thing dropped?
Actually, I think I'm going to mount them with the leads at 3 o'clock. I don't want goop running down the center of the cone. The excess dope (and cone stamp #) makes me think these things have had a recone job in the past.
![]()
Sorry, can't read stamp number on last picture! As far as I can make it....it reads 18030354.
The cones on my -8bs have a different stamp. Old pic from my file:
![]()
Bookmarks